Challenging. Supporting. Loving. Aspiring. Educating. Sharing. Uplifting. Informing. Strengthening. Encouraging. Motivating. Praying. {Women Becoming Better... Together.}

Sunday, July 31, 2011

One of the smallest words - yet often the HARDEST to say... "No"

Women. Such givers by nature. I could be speaking only of myself, but something tells me - I am not alone. For the majority of my life, I was the person who very rarely said "no". The few times I did say "no" could only be attributed to the fact that I'd already over-extended myself. I constantly put myself, my needs and/or wants on the back burner in an effort to be everything to everybody. Don't get me wrong - there is absolutely nothing wrong with being there for others. On the contrary, we should be there for others - but not at the cost of neglecting ourselves. My problem was that even from childhood I was always looking out for everyone else. Perhaps it was part of being the oldest child in a single-family home. I always wanted to help my mother and was always looking out for my little brothers. So for some of us, we've been wearing that hat for so long that before we know it, it has become second-nature... and sometimes to those who know us best it becomes expected of us. But do not fret, saying "no" is like anything else... practice makes perfect! :) Be encouraged and repeat after me, "no" .... Look at YOU - that wasn't so bad, was it? No it wasn't. :) Now doesn't that feel good? Let's do it again - "No" "No" "No". Okay, well now we have established that you can say "no", let's talk a little about why you don't say it more often...

There are many reasons that women find themselves saying "yes", when everything in their mind and body, sometimes even soul, is telling them to say "no".
We can't please everyone all of the time - and honestly, we shouldn't even try. Depending on the relationship held with the person requesting something from you, you may say "yes" out of fear or the urge to please. Fear that they may be unhappy with you for saying "no", fear of confrontation, fear of what that person might think of you are all reasons that women will say "yes" when they really should be saying "no". A wise woman once told me, "If a person likes you any less because you tell them "no" then they aren't the person YOU thought they were, and it's their loss." (Thanks Nana). Truer words have never been spoken! Sometimes people think because they are related to you or hold some type of title that when they say, "jump" you should respond "how high"? That just isn't the case. Really it is just the opposite. If someone loves you and/or respects you, they should  be able to accept and respect your "no" and not love you any less for it.

Some women find themselves over extending themselves because they are looking for acceptance, acknowledgment, and/or attention. You enjoy being Ms. Dependable. You like the feeling of coming to the rescue... the feeling of being the responsible one. You like the accolades you receive. Listen, when we give and/or do for others it should be done out of love and not to receive any glory from it. The bible says

"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Mt 6:2-4

God wants us to give, when we are able, because He has blessed us to be able to do so. So instead of looking for acknowledgment and acceptance from the individual you are giving to, know in your heart that you are doing the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing, and that your Father is pleased.

Perhaps you feel like, the more you do for someone, the more they will like you and/or appreciate you, or maybe even, the more they will do for YOU - when in reality, that just is not the case. Many times, the exact opposite happens and those same people end up taking you for granted and/or not valuing you as much as they should. Which brings us back to respect. Women, we have to respect ourselves BEFORE we ask or expect any one else to do so. Saying "no" is a part of respecting and valuing yourself. Which brings me to my next point...

There are times that we will say "yes" even when we'd like to say "no", but these should be exceptions to the rule, not the norm. One instance when you should never say "yes" when you know you should be saying "no" is when saying "yes" will put you in a situation where you will be compromising your faith, beliefs, values, ethics, etc. It just isn't worth it. And anyone who says they love you, care about you, and/or respect you, would never ask you to do such a thing. You will never regret saying no and standing up for something you believe in - but many many many times, you will regret that "yes". Stand firm in your beliefs. Do not allow anyone to talk you out of something you believe in, especially for their own selfish gain. When we do for others we should walk away feeling good about it. If that isn't the case, check your motives and check theirs.

Another not-so-good reason for saying "yes", is to say so and to do for others with the expectation of getting something in return. When you do for others it should be because you want to be a blessing to that person, not because you are looking to gain something from them. If you find yourself over-extending yourself in this fashion, you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of disappointment. Do not keep a tally of the times you are there for someone and then be unhappy if they don't reiterate all that you have done for them.

Luke 6:33-35 "And if you are kind and good and do favors to and benefit those who are kind and good and do favors to and benefit you, what quality of credit and thanks is that to you? For even the preeminently sinful do the same.
    34And if you lend money at interest to those from whom you hope to receive, what quality of credit and thanks is that to you? Even notorious sinners lend money at interest to sinners, so as to recover as much again.
    35But love your enemies and be kind and do good [doing favors so that someone derives benefit from them] and lend, expecting and hoping for nothing in return but considering nothing as lost and despairing of no one; and then your recompense (your reward) will be great (rich, strong, intense, and abundant), and you will be sons (and daughters!) of the Most High, for He is kind and charitable and good to the ungrateful and the selfish and wicked.

Anyone who knows me would surely tell you that I am STILL such a giver! It's who I am - but, what I've learned is that there are healthy limits to my giving and that it is okay to say "no". Actually it is more than okay - it's necessary.


Let's Talk!
This list is no way all-inclusive. I''m sure all of you can think of a bunch more reasons - and if you do, I hope that you will share! I am looking forward to hearing your opinion and experiences! 
* What is your approach to saying "no"? 
* In your experience, how do people respond when you do say "no"? 
* Do you feel people respect you more or less... or neither?  
* What are the lessons you've learned from over-extending and/or saying "yes" when you should have said "no"? 
* Do you struggle with saying "no"? If so, why do YOU find it difficult to say "no"?

6 comments:

  1. I would have to agree with you 100%. I know that in the past people would describe me as a "yes girl". Meaning no matter what the task, favor, or request I would go above and beyond the call of duty so to speak to get the job done. I would find myself in tight situations or even going without in order to please everyone else, holding on to the word Phillippians 4:19 "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches and glory." and never bat an eye.

    Then I had to reevaluate my situation, I had to look at my life, and when I took a look around I discovered something. All the people that asked me for things, or that I did things for, the same people who claimed to love or care for me never really returned the favor, and had no problem saying "no" to my requests. It was disheartening to see that it would seem that for all the yes's I dished out there was an equal number of no's coming back my way.

    It is hard to change a habit; they say it takes 21 consecutive days to change any habit. So stick to saying "no" when you feel it is right to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your input!! I agree. The key is BALANCE. Do it when you can, and don't be afraid to say no if/when you can't. We should never feel bad or be made to feel bad for saying "no". Like you said, when we are over-extending ourselves to the point of putting ourselves in tight situations, neglecting ourselves, and/or feeling unappreciated or taken advantage of - that is when we have to re-evaluate and take a look at our approach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, saying the word "no" can be a stronghold, especially when the expectations from others is always a "yes". The hardest is when it comes to family and close friends because sometimes they can feel that it's expected, and it comes as a shock to them when the word no is used. Then it becomes that "how dare you say no look"!..lol-lol. The older I get, the more I go through different life's experiences, whether it's good or bad, the more I'm learning that saying no can be a good thing. Especially when it forces people to learn to think and do on their own. It's one thing to be a lending hand..it's another to just be taken advantage of! I now embrace and praise God for the word "no", and if the offenses come, then I am truly okay with it! Be Blessed ladies:)!

    Sis Sandy Lowery-Pollard

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome way to start a blog! I truly have been victim of this and at some point feel into almost every category. I have since learned its truly ok to say No and that those that do matter respect you that much more for it. Great job, I look forward to more.

    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful is this?! I am so excited to hear from all of you! Thank you for taking the time to visit the blog and to share your thoughts!!!

    @Sis Sand, I especially loved what you pointed out when you said, "...I'm learning that saying no can be a good thing. Especially when it forces people to learn to think and do on their own." That's a point I hadn't touched on!
    Saying "no" can actually be a blessing to the person asking something of you - and saying "yes" can be a hindrance, especially when you are enabling someone to continue in negative, harmful, and/or irresponsible behaviors. Knowing that someone is constantly there to bail you out, pick up your slack, and clean up your mess does not encourage one to step up and get their act together. Sometimes we have to say "no" BECAUSE we love them! Great point!

    @Jae - Thank you for the encouragement! It's awesome to know that you could relate to the article!! And even more awesome to hear that, you too, have learned that it is OKAY to say "no". I'm sure you would agree - the sooner one learns that lesson, the better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes its hard for me to say no, especially when its toward someone I really care about. You hit the nail on the head when you said "we like being the dependable, responsible, reliable one" I think being there. I don't say yes for accolades, but in a way its for "proof" to let them know I will be there for them. I don't know if that's good or bad.
    When I do tell people know, most times they do look at me sideways wondering if I've bumped my head because they are so used to me saying yes all the time. Lately, I have said no more than ye and at first I didn't like the disappointed looks I got, but overall, I'm okay now because people will take take and take more.

    ReplyDelete

"Real Ladies! Real GOD! Real Talk! - Equipping Real Walk!" - Particpate in our INTERACTIVE dialogue!